Praise When Tested

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

2 O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

5 They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

9 But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.

10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.

12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

19 But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.

24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.

26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

28 For the kingdom is the LORD's: and he is the governor among the nations.

29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.
--Psalm 22 KJV Bible

This is a lament psalm of David. He expresses his trust in God in spite of his apparent rejection by God and by men David petitions God's help and deliverance in the face of attacks by his enemies, confidently resolves to praise God and invites others to join in that praise because God has heard his prayer. David predicts the future worldwide worship of the Lord.

The description of the psalm includes the phrase "upon Aijeleth Hashshahar," in Hebrew, upon the hind of dawn. This may have been the name of a known melody which was suggested for use with the psalm.

Psalm 22 is typical of those which applied to the events of the time as well as to the events surrounding the coming Messiah. These psalms are described as Messianic psalms. Psalm 22 is one of the most quoted in the New Testament.

In verses 1 and 2, David cries to God because he feels that God has rejected him. Two of the Gospels record that Jesus quoted the first phrase of verse 1 while Jesus was on the cross (Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34). In Hebrew, the phrase is "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani." Mark's recording uses the Aramaic "Eloi" rather than the Hebrew "Eli." Aramaic was the common language of the day. In fact, Aramaic might have been Jesus' first language, before Hebrew. Jesus may have spoken these words from the cross in Aramaic so that more people around Him would understand. If Jesus had any difficulty in speaking from the cross, which he most definitely would have, Mathew could have easily interpreted the "Eli" as "Eloi," particularly if Matthew thought Jesus was quoting the psalm of David rather than just making a personal statement. Matthew would seem to have understood that even in His death, Jesus was still teaching.

In verse 3, David uses the phrase "the praises of Israel." Some think this figure of speech is a reference to a physical sanctuary, the temple in Jerusalem where the people of Israel praised the Lord. Others interpret the phrase to mean that God is present in the praises of believers, whenever and wherever they are. In this writer's humble opinion, both would seem valid.

In verse 7, David describes the scorn of the people. The phrase "shoot out the lip," sometimes translated as "separate with the lip," is a mocking gesture, similar to sticking out one's tongue.

In verses 11 through 18, David describes his struggle with death in language which is also appropriate to the suffering Messiah. In verses 14 through 16, David speaks of pain, extreme thirst, asphyxiation, and agony to the hands and feet. While David's words may have accurately described to him what he was going through, David is also prophetically describing crucifixion, a means of execution that was not known until Roman times.

In verse 12, David describes the people as "Bulls of Bashan." the prophet Amos used a similar phrase (Amos 4:1). The country of Bashan, or Basan, extended from Gilead in the south to Hermon in the north, and from the Jordon River on the west to Salcah on the east. Bashan was known for its fat cattle. By his reference, David was describing the people around him as self serving. They were insatiable in their appetites and they were pretentious in their religious practices.

In verse 15, David describes his strength as dried up, or gone. He compares it to a “potsherd,” a broken piece of clay pottery, no longer useful for its original purpose.

In verse 16, David compares is savage enemies to “dogs.” This is a reference to the lone animals that haunted the streets, scavenging anything they could find.

In verse 17, David explains that he is wasted away to the point that he can discern and count his bones through his skin. David has become a living skeleton.

In verse 18, David comments that those around him are debating and gambling for ownership of what will be left of him after his death--is clothing. Two of the Gospels note that this event took place at Jesus’ crucifixion, in Matthew 27:35 and John 19:24.

In verse 21, David asks for deliverance. With reference to the Messiah, Jesus, this was accomplished by His resurrection from the dead. The reference to “unicorns” is also translated as wild oxen.

In verses 22 through 26, David expresses gratitude publicly with a thanksgiving sacrifice a feast. These were the common custom of the time, as described in Leviticus 7:15-17. The writer of the Letter to the Hebrews, sometimes credited as the Apostle Paul, quoted verse 22 and referenced it to Jesus Christ (Hebrews 2:12).

In verses 27 through 31, David gives prophecy of millennial blessings that will come with the Messiah’s kingdom. The beginning of verse 29 is a reference to the feast described in Isaiah 25:6.

Lord God, even in the times of greatest trial--when I am under the greatest attack--remind me that You are always with me. Help me to think not only of myself, but of those around me. Prompt me to give praise to You and to encourage others to do so as well, for You inhabit our praises, both now and in the kingdom to come.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

When Will These Things Happen?