Thirst

(In observance of the season of Lent)

As the deer pants longingly for streams of water, so my soul longs after You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, the living God. When will I come and be in God’s presence? My tears have been my food day and night, while people ask me all day long, “Where is your God?”

These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I walked with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God with shouts of joy and praise. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why the unease within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him for the salvation of His presence.

O my God, my soul despairs within me. So, I choose to remember You from the land of Jordan and the peaks of Hermon—even from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep in the roar of Your waterfalls. All Your breakers and Your waves have rolled over me. The LORD commands His steadfast love by day, and His song is with me in the night as a prayer to the God of my life.

I say to God, my Rock, “Why have You forgotten me? Why must I walk in sorrow because of the enemy’s oppression?” Like the crushing of my bones, my enemies taunt me, while they say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why the unease within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior, and my God.

(See Psalm 42)

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

God's Provision and Israel's Waywardness

Meditation For Fear and Worry