Comfort Even When Pursued and Surrounded

[To the chief Musician upon Jonath–e’lem–recho’kim, Mikhtam of David, when the Philistines took him in Gath]

1 Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.

2 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.

3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

5 Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.

6 They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.

7 Shall they escape by iniquity? in thine anger cast down the people, O God.

8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?

9 When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.

10 In God will I praise his word: in the LORD will I praise his word.

11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

12 Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.

13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

—Psalm 56 KJV Bible

This is a lament psalm of David. In the song, David pleads for help, asks for vengeance, and promises to pay vows.

The historical background for the psalm is the time when David, fleeing from Saul, pretending to be insane before King Achish of Gath, a Philistine city. Because of David's acting, Achish considered the great David to be harmless and eventually released him (1 Samuel 21:1-15). David also reflected on these events in Psalm 34, though in that song David referred to Achish by the dynastic title of Abimelech. In Psalm 34, David focused on God's eventual deliverance and the giving of praise. In Psalm 56, David focuses on the enemies which chased him--Saul's troupes—and the enemies which surrounded him—the Philistines.

The psalm superscription says it is according to the Hebrew "Jonath e’lem reho’kim." Some suggest this is a melody to accompany the psalm, called "the silent dove in far-off lands," or "the silent dove on distant oaks." Others suggest instead that it is a word picture of David, an uncomplaining, meek dove, driven from his native home to wander in exile.

Also in the superscription is the Hebrew "Mikhtam." The meaning is uncertain. It is apparently derived from a verb meaning "to cover," and may indicate psalms dealing with protection (covering) from one's enemies or psalms recited silently—for example, with lips covering the mouth. This word is used in the superscriptions of Psalms 16 and 56 through 60.

In verses 1 through 6, David pleads to God for help. David is tired from the enemy which pursues him with great energy and tries to trap him at every turn. David is also tired of having his words twisted so that they give his enemy the advantage. David feels trampled upon and oppressed.

In verses 4 and 11, David explains that since God is ultimately in control, nothing can happen to David that God does not permit. For this reason, David is not afraid of anything that may happen.

In verses 7 through 11, David asks God for vengeance. In verse 8, David is certain that God is attentive to every detail of David’s life. In verses 9 through 11, David declares his certainty that God will answer his call. He will therefore trust and give praise to God.

In verses 12 and 13, David promises to pay vows to God. In verse 12, David vows to bring thank offerings, as described in Leviticus 7:12-17, and to bring songs of praise, as is done in Psalm 26:7.

Father, when I feel burdened or frightened or deserted by circumstances, give me Your peace. Remind me that You are in control of my life. Nothing can happen to me that You do not permit. I will not fear, for in all things You are with me.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

Jesus, Again, Predicts His Death