A Cry for Help

[To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, to bring to remembrance]

1 Make haste, O God, to deliver me; make haste to help me, O LORD.

2 Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul: let them be turned backward, and put to confusion, that desire my hurt.

3 Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame that say, Aha, aha.

4 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: and let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified.

5 But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou art my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.

—Psalm 70 KJV Bible

This psalm of David is an urgent prayer for help. This psalm is very similar to Psalm 40:13-17. And most of the psalm can also be seen in Psalm 35:4, 21, 26 and 27. Because David was in danger many times in his life, it seems that David considered these words important enough to repeat. Two other examples of psalms being repeated are Psalms 14 and 53 and Psalms 57, 60 and 108.

Like Psalm 38, this is described as a psalm to bring to remembrance. One possible meaning is that the term was a reference to the act of laying a request before God so that He is continually reminded of it.

In verses 1 through 5, David urgently asks for God's help. David wonders why God seems to be delaying, from David's perspective. He asks God to hurry. David asks that God make ashamed and confused those that are after David and that mock him. Though troubled, David rejoices in God and encourages all the righteous to do the same. David humbly confesses his weakness and asks that God strengthen him and save him quickly.

Father, when I am in desperate need of Your help, remind me that You are always with me and You know what I am going through. I only need to turn to You. I thank You and I praise You.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

When Will These Things Happen?