Faith, Love and Forgiveness


One of the Pharisees, a man named Simon, invited Jesus to dine with him at his home. And He reclined at table with other guests.

Now, there was a woman in that town who had made a lifetime of bad choices. But she learned that Jesus was dining at Simon's house. So, she went there with an alabaster jar of perfume. Moving to the table, she stood behind Jesus, at His feet, weeping. She wet His feet with her tears and wiped His feet with her hair. Then she kissed His feet and anointed them with the perfume.

When the host saw this, he thought, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching Him, what kind of woman she is, and the things she has done."

Jesus said, "Simon, I have something to say."

Simon replied, "Say it, teacher."

"Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed five hundred silver pieces, and the other owed fifty. Neither of them could pay their debt, so the moneylender forgave both debts. Now, which of the two would be more grateful?"

Simon replied, "I suppose the one who was forgiven the most."

Jesus said, "You have judged correctly."

Then He turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your home. You gave Me no water to wash My feet, but she wet My feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave Me no kiss of greeting, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing My feet. You did not honor me by anointing My head with oil, but she has anointed My feet with perfume. Therefore I tell you, because her many sins were forgiven, she loved much. But the one who is forgiven little loves little."

Then Jesus said to the woman, "Your sins are forgiven."

The startled guests began to ask each other, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"

But Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."

(See Luke 7:36-50)

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

God's Provision and Israel's Waywardness

Meditation For Fear and Worry