Ask and Do

Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose one of you goes to your friend at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine has come to me on a journey, and I have nothing to set before them.’

“And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Do not bother me. My door is already shut, and my children and I are in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.’

“I tell you, even though they will not get up to provide for you because of your friendship, yet because of your persistence, they will get up and give you as much as you need.

“So I tell you: Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; everyone who seeks finds; and to you who knocks, the door will be opened.

“Which of you, if your child asks for bread, will give them a stone? Or if they ask for a fish, you will give them a snake instead? Or if they ask for an egg, you will give them a scorpion? So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit and other good things to those who ask Him!”

In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.

(See Matthew 7:7-12; Luke 11:5-13)

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

God's Provision and Israel's Waywardness

Meditation For Fear and Worry