Lamb of God

In the Book of Exodus, we read that the Lord God commanded that the priests sacrifice a lamb as a burnt offering and that they do this every morning and every evening. These daily sacrifices were to atone for the sins of the people. From the time of the tabernacle to the time of the temple, for generation upon generation, the priests obeyed the Lord God's command. And so, the people came to understand that a sacrifice was required to take away their sin, which separated them from God.

One day, after Jesus had returned from the wilderness, and when John was near Bethany across the Jordan, John saw Jesus approaching. And John shouted, "See! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is He of whom I said, 'After me comes a Man with a higher rank than I because He existed before me.' I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water.” 

John testified, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’ I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.”

(See Exodus 29:38-42; John 1:15, 29-34)

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

God's Provision and Israel's Waywardness

Meditation For Fear and Worry