Blessing, Provision and Salvation

1 Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.

2 Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.

3 Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.

4 Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.

5 Because they regard not the works of the LORD, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up.

6 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.

7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.

8 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.

9 Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.
--Psalm 28 KJV Bible

This is a lament psalm of David. In the song, David asks the Lord to deliver David from the judgment that is rightfully due his enemies. David then confidently predicts the punishment of his enemies, publicly praises God for the assurance of an answer to his prayer, and asks the Lord to save His people, Israel.

As is David's pattern in other lament psalms, David first records the vows he made during his difficulties, then his thanksgiving and praises to God, and then David's encouragement to others to follow his example. We are not certain the details of the dangers from which God delivered David in this psalm, but some suggest that David composed this during his persecution by Saul.

In verse 1, David asks God to deliver him. David asks God not to be "silent," sometimes translated as "deaf." This emphasizes David's frustration and anxiety. While David has experienced God's deliverance in the past, David can still get caught up in the moment and doubt that God will save him.

In verse 2, David refers to God's "holy oracle," sometimes translated as "sanctuary." this is a reference to the Holy of Holies--the secret place containing the Ark of the Covenant and representing God's presence. Here David describes that he is turning toward God and asking for deliverance.

In verse 5, David confidently predicts the punishment of his enemies. David credits this to their willful disregard of who God is and what they have seen God do in the past.

In verses 6 through 8, David publicly praises God for the assurance of an answer to David's prayer. In verse 8, David describes God as the saving strength of God's "anointed." In his present tense, David is referring to himself as God's king of Israel, having been anointed by the prophet Samuel as a symbol that God wanted David to lead His people (1 Samuel 16). Prophetically, God is also the saving strength of His great anointed, His Messiah, Jesus Christ.

In verse 9, David asks the Lord to save His "inheritance," Israel. David asks God to always bless them, or to give them truly good things. He asks God to always "feed" them, or to be their provider. And David asks God to always "lift them up," or to save them and make them an example for others to see. Without using the word, David is asking God to continue to shepherd His people.

O God, when I think You are far away from me, remind me that You are always with me. You have been there before and You will always be there to bless me, feed me and lift me up.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

When Will These Things Happen?