Praise, Thanksgiving and Dedication

1 I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.

2 O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.

3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

4 Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

6 And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.

7 LORD, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.

8 I cried to thee, O LORD; and unto the LORD I made supplication.

9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?

10 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper.

11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;

12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.
--Psalm 30 KJV Bible

This is a thanksgiving psalm of David. In this song, David acknowledges God’s deliverance and calls on the congregation to join him in praise to God. David also remembers his past sin and renews his praise to God.

There has been a bit of disagreement over the original purpose of this psalm. The psalm description states that it was for "the dedication of the house of David." Some translators have treated this phrase as two thoughts, saying that the psalm was for "the dedication of the house" and that the psalm or melody used was "of David." Of those who considered it to be two thoughts, some have suggested that "house" was a reference to the site on which the temple would later be built by David's son, but others argue that a "dedication" would not really apply for such an occasion. Those who consider the description as a single thought say the song was for "the dedication of David's house." They argue this is more likely the case given the personal nature of content of the song. A reference to the common practice of home dedication is found in Deuteronomy 20:5. But even among this school of thought there is disagreement. Some relate this "dedication" to the time when David took possession of his new house of cedar and stone as described in 2 Samuel 5:11. Others suggest the song actually took place later and was for a rededication, or reconsecration, of David's house and household following David's defeat of his rebellious son Absalom.

In verses 1 through 5, David acknowledges God’s deliverance and calls on the congregation to join him in praise. In verse 3, David acknowledges that God has delivered him from the brink of death. In verse 5, David also notes that God's discipline seems momentary when compared to God's eternal blessings which come as surely as the morning.

In verses 6 through 10, David remembers his past sin. In verses 6 and 7, David reflects a time when he put more faith in his "prosperity," or self-sufficiency, than in God. The result was God's chastening. Some suggest this is a reference to David's census of the people, followed by God's plague on Israel, as described in 2 Samuel 24 and 1 Chronicles 21. If this is what David is referencing, then 70,000 died because of David’s sin. In verse 9, David makes the pragmatic argument that if he dies, he cannot offer praise to God. David made a similar plea to God in Psalm 6:5, when David was also afraid that he would die.

In verses 11 through 12, David renews his praise to God. David's mention of "sackcloth" is a reference to the mourner's custom of outwardly appearing humbled and/or repentant because of their loss. The wearing of ashes is sometimes added to increase this appearance of humility. Examples of this practice can be seen in Genesis 37:34, 2 Samuel 3:31, Esther 4:1, Jonah 3:3-8, and Matthew 11:20-21. David notes that his mourning has changed into dancing because his joy is so great. David also did this in 2 Samuel 6:14 when David had the Ark of the Covenant moved to Jerusalem.

Father, I have failed You so often. Though I may at times feel self-important, the truth is that I am nothing without You. In humility, I rededicate myself to you. Turn my mourning into dancing and help me to not be silent in the offering of my thanksgiving and my praise.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

When Will These Things Happen?