Vindication and Salvation

1 Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.

2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.

3 For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.

4 I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers.

5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.

6 I will wash mine hands in innocency: so will I compass thine altar, O LORD:

7 That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works.

8 LORD, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth.

9 Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men:

10 In whose hands is mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes.

11 But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity: redeem me, and be merciful unto me.

12 My foot standeth in an even place: in the congregations will I bless the LORD.
--Psalm 26

This is a psalm of David. In the song he asks God to defend David from others who criticize David's integrity. David then asks God to keep him from the fate of the wicked. Finally, David resolves to praise the Lord for answering him.

In verses 1 through 8, David asks defense from the criticism of others. The "integrity" David mentions in verse 1 is not sinlessness, but a sincerity of purpose and single-hearted devotion. In verse 2 David is so confident of his innocence that he asks God to examine his mind and heart in order to prove David's claims. David then recounts how he is faithful in his walk, describing how he avoids the paths and the company of the wicked. David expresses his joy in worshiping a praising God with other believers, and David's desire to continue doing so.

In verses 9 through 11, David asks God to save him from the fate of the wicked. David asks to not be lumped in and swept away with those who are insincere in their motives and actions. David then pledges that, despite his critics, David will continue his faithful walk and that his footing on the righteous path is sure.

At the end of verse 12, David is confident that God will vindicate him. David resolves to praise the Lord for answer that David knows is coming.

O God, defend me from my harshest critics, be they wicked or fellow believers. Search my heart and know that I am sincere and strive to walk Your path. Whatever may come, help me continue to praise You, O God; to lift You up so that others may be drawn to You.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

Jesus, Again, Predicts His Death