My Shepherd and My Eternal Host

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
--Psalm 23 KJV Bible

This psalm of David has been described as his most beautiful song of trust. In the psalm, David pictures the Lord as the great Shepherd who provides for, guides and protects His sheep. David then describes the Lord as the gracious Host who protects and provides abundantly for His guests.

In verse 1, David describes the Lord God as a shepherd. This caring imagery of God as a shepherd is used by others in the Old Testament. In addition to Psalm 23, the most notable passages are Genesis 48:15, Isaiah 49:10, Jeremiah 31:9-10, Ezekiel 34, Psalm 80:1, and Psalm 95:7.

In verse 2, David mentions “still waters.” This is a reference to deep water inlets or ponds where rest and refreshment could be found.

In verse 3, David notes that the Lord restores his soul through the provisions of food and water--providing for David’s most basic needs. Like a shepherd, God leads David in paths that God knows to be right in His eyes. God chooses these paths because they honor God’s name--the holy person of God.

In verse 4, David explains that the shepherd protects his sheep with his “rod” or club, which is used to fight off wild beasts, and He guides straying sheep with his “staff” or crook.

In verse 5, David describes the Lord as a gracious Host. God provides all that we need. David also notes that the Host anoints David with oil, which was a courtesy shown to guests at a banquet.

In verse 6, David sees himself as not just a guest of the Host for one meal or one day, but as a recipient of God’s covenant. David describes the Lord’s everlasting love using the Hebrew “hesed,” which is sometimes translated as “mercy” or “lovingkindness.” This is the loyal, long-lasting love of God. The phrase “the house of the Lord” is a reference to the place where God is. Here David will be with the Host forever.

Lord God, I thank You for being my Shepherd--providing for me, guiding me, and protecting me all the days of my life. And I thank You and praise You that when this life is done, I will live with You as Your special guest forever.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

When Will These Things Happen?