Confess and Be Forgiven

1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.

2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.

3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.

4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Selah

5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD "—and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah

6 Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him.

7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah

8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.

10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.

11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!
--Psalm 32

This psalm of David is a song of forgiveness. It has been suggested that this psalm is a follow-up or a revisit of Psalm 51, in which David confesses his sin with Bathsheba. In this psalm, David describes the blessing of forgiveness which followed his chastening and confession. David then encourages others to seek the Lord’s deliverance rather than stubbornly refusing to follow Him.
Finally, David encourages them to rejoice in the Lord.

The psalm description states this is a “maskil,” in Hebrew, literally meaning “a hedge.” In the context of the psalms, it is thought to mean either a contemplative or teaching psalm, or a psalm written in a clever way. Thirteen psalms are described as "maskils." they include 32, 42, 44, 45, 52-55, 74, 78, 88, 89 and 142.

In verses 1 and 2, David uses the Hebrew writing style of parallelism to reinforce his thought: how happy is the person whose sins have been confessed to God and are forgiven. In verses 3 and 4, David explains that he sinned and "kept silent,” not immediately confessing it to God. Still, God knew. God chastened David physically and emotionally. In verse 5, David reports that when he did confess, God forgave.

In verses 6 through 10, David encourages others to seek the Lord’s deliverance. In verses 6, David is speaking to God, reflecting on God's forgiveness and protection when sins are confessed. In verse 7, David affirms that the Lord is protector and savior.

In verses 8 through 10, David is speaking, instructing the listeners on the basis of his own experience. He advises them not to be stubborn, but to trust in the Lord and His faithful love.

In verse 11, David speaks to those who confess their sins and are forgiven. He encourages them to rejoice in the Lord.

Father, You know how often I fail You. Help me not to hang on to my sin, but to confess it to You, receive Your forgiveness, and rejoice in Your blessings.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

When Will These Things Happen?