Again, Who Are You?

Jesus and His disciples went to Jerusalem for the Feast of Dedication, more commonly known today as Hannukah. It was winter and they were walking in the temple courts in Solomon’s Colonnade. And the Jewish leaders gathered around Jesus and demanded, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ (Messiah), tell us plainly.”

Now, Jesus may have considered this question to be a continuation of His conversation with the Pharisees two months prior, following the Feast of Tabernacles. Because Jesus replied, “I already told you, but you did not believe. The works I do in My Father’s name testify on My behalf. But because you are not My sheep, you refuse to believe. My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

At this, just like two months prior, the Jewish leaders picked up stones to stone Jesus. But He responded, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone Me?”

“We are not stoning You for any good work,” said the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because You, being a man, declare Yourself to be God.”

Jesus then reminded them of Psalm 82, saying, “Is it not written in your Law: ‘I have said you are gods? If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken—then what about the One whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world? How then can you accuse Me of blasphemy for stating that I am the Son of God?

“If I am not doing the works of My Father, then do not believe Me. But if I am doing them, even though you do not believe Me, believe the works themselves, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I am in the Father.”

At this, the Jewish leaders tried, again, to seize Him, but He escaped their grasp.

See John 10:22-39; Psalm 82:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

God's Provision and Israel's Waywardness

Meditation For Fear and Worry