Parable of the Great Banquet

Jesus had just told His host whom he should invite to his banquets. And one of the other guests, who had overheard this, said to Jesus, “Blessed is everyone who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God.”

In response, Jesus told this parable: “A certain man prepared a great banquet and invited many guests. When it was time for the banquet, he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’

“But one after another, all the invited guests began to make excuses. The first one said, ‘I have purchased a piece of land and I need to go out and look at it. Please excuse me.’

“Another said, ‘I bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to try them out. Please excuse me.’

“Still another said, ‘I just got married, so I cannot come.’

“The servant returned and reported all this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the city, and bring in the poor, the disabled, the blind, and the lame.’

The servant reported, “‘Sir, what you commanded has been done, and there is still room.’

“So, the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedges and urge those people to come in, so that my house will be full. For I tell you, not one of those who were invited will taste my banquet.’ ”

See Luke 14:15-24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

God's Provision and Israel's Waywardness

Meditation For Fear and Worry