Parable of the Rich Fool

A man in the crowd called to Jesus. Apparently, he was not satisfied with his portion of the family inheritance. Perhaps he was a younger brother and the eldest brother had received a double portion, as was the custom. Regardless, the man thought Jesus, in His authority as a teacher of the law, could influence the division of property to the man’s favor. And so, the man said to Jesus, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me.”
 
But Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed Me judge or executor between the two of you?” Jesus went on to warn the man and the crowd about greed, saying, “Watch out! Guard yourselves against every form of greed, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of one’s possessions.”
 
Then Jesus told the crowd a parable: “The ground of a certain rich man produced an abundant harvest. So, he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, since I have nowhere to store my crops?’ Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and will build bigger ones, and there I will store up all my grain and my goods. Then I will say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take it easy. Eat, drink, and be merry!” ’
 
“But God said to the rich man, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be required of you. And the things you have accumulated, whose will they be?
 
“This is how it will be for anyone who stores up treasure for themselves but is not rich toward God.”
 
See Luke 12:13-21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

God's Provision and Israel's Waywardness

Meditation For Fear and Worry