Lamentations 3:9 – My Way Blocked and Perverted

Lamentations 3:9 - He has blocked my ways with hewn stone; He has made my paths crooked. (NASB)

The above verse continues the thoughts begun in Lamentations 3:1, in which the speaker expresses his experience of being disciplined by God.

Break it down: Let’s look at the key Hebrew words in the passage and their meanings.

gadar - to wall up or off, to build a wall
derek - way, road, distance, journey, manner
gazith - a cutting, a hewing, stone
nathiyb - pathway, traveler, way
avah - do amiss, bow down, make crooked, commit iniquity, pervert, do perversely, trouble, turn

Expand and Dig: Let’s use these meanings to expand the passage and dig deeper.

He has built a wall of cut stoned to block my way. He has made my pathway, my journey, my manner, to be crooked, to be perverted.
 
-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamentations 3:22-23 – Even Through the Bad, God is Faithful

The Abomination and the Tribulation

Jesus, Again, Predicts His Death