September 4 — The Heart of a Servant
“So if I, your Lord
and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I
have set you an example so that you should do as I have done for you.”
The night before His
crucifixion, Jesus did something no one expected. As the disciples gathered for
the Passover meal, no servant was present to perform the customary task of
washing the dust from the guests' feet. It was considered the work of the
lowest servant in the household. Yet the One who had created the world quietly
rose from the table. He wrapped a towel around His waist. He knelt before His
disciples. And He washed their feet. “So if I, your Lord and Teacher…” Jesus
never denied who He was. He was, indeed, their Lord and Teacher. He possessed
all authority in heaven and on earth. Yet His greatness was expressed not by
demanding service, but by offering it.
Pause and reflect: How
do I understand greatness? Do I measure it by position, recognition, or
influence? Or am I learning to see greatness as Jesus did—through humble
service to others? “…have washed your feet…” Jesus did not simply teach
humility. He demonstrated it. He served even those who misunderstood Him. He
washed the feet of Peter, who would soon deny Him. He washed the feet of
Thomas, who would later struggle with doubt. He even washed the feet of Judas,
knowing that Judas would betray Him before the night was over. What
extraordinary love. What remarkable humility. “You also should wash one
another’s feet.” Jesus was not establishing a ritual alone. He was revealing a
way of life. His followers are called to notice the needs of others and to
serve them willingly. Sometimes that service is visible. Often it is quiet and
unnoticed. A word of encouragement. A helping hand. A listening ear. A meal
prepared for someone in need. A visit to someone who is lonely. A task
completed without seeking recognition. Every act of humble service reflects the
heart of Christ. “I have set you an example…” Jesus never asks us to go where
He has not already gone. He does not ask us to serve because service is easy. He
asks us to serve because this is the path He Himself walked. The servant heart
of Jesus is not merely something we admire. It is something we are invited to
imitate.
Today, ask God to help
you notice one opportunity to serve someone else. It may be a family member. A
friend. A coworker. A neighbor. Or even a stranger whose need briefly crosses
your path. You might quietly pray, "Lord Jesus, give me the heart of a
servant." Then be attentive. You may find that God places someone in
your path who needs exactly what you have to offer. And as you serve, remember
this: No act of genuine love is ever too small in the kingdom of God. For every
humble act of service reflects the life of the One who knelt with a towel in
His hands. And as you follow His example, others begin to see not only your
kindness... But the heart of Christ Himself.
—
John 13:14-15
Thank You for the beautiful example of Jesus, who came not to be served but to serve. Thank You for showing me that true greatness is found in humility and love.
Give me the heart of a servant today. Help me to notice the needs of those around me and to respond with kindness, compassion, and generosity. Teach me to serve without seeking recognition, knowing that every act of love honors You. May my life reflect the servant heart of Christ in all that I do.
All this I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment