August 7 — Waiting Quietly Before God
Rest in God alone, O
my soul, for my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my
stronghold; I will not be shaken.
Waiting is one of the
most difficult parts of the life of faith. We prefer movement over stillness. We
want answers instead of uncertainty, resolution instead of delay, and action
instead of waiting. Yet throughout Scripture, waiting is often one of God’s
primary ways of shaping our hearts. David speaks first to himself. “Rest in God
alone, O my soul…” Other translations render this phrase, “Wait silently for
God alone.” Either way, David is intentionally directing his own heart. He
is reminding himself where true rest is found. Sometimes faith means preaching
truth to our own souls.
Pause and reflect: What
am I waiting for today? Is there an unanswered prayer, an unresolved
situation, or a decision that seems delayed? How have you been responding
during the waiting? “…for my hope comes from Him.” Hope is not found in knowing
exactly when circumstances will change. Hope is found in knowing the One who
remains faithful while we wait. This changes the nature of waiting. Waiting
becomes more than passing time. It becomes an opportunity to deepen trust. “He
alone is my rock…” David returns again to an image he clearly treasured. A rock
does not move because storms arise. It remains firm because its strength comes
from within itself. God offers that same stability to those who place their
confidence in Him. “…my stronghold…” A stronghold is both protection and
security. When life feels uncertain, God becomes the place where our hearts can
settle. “I will not be shaken.” Notice what David does not say. He does not say
that life will never shake around him. He says that he will not be
shaken. The difference is profound. Our confidence is not based upon stable
circumstances. It is based upon a faithful God.
Today, if you find
yourself waiting, resist the urge to fill every quiet moment with worry or
anxious planning. Instead, take a few moments simply to be still before God. You
might quietly pray, “Lord, my hope comes from You.” Then sit for a
moment in silence. You do not have to solve everything today. You do not have
to know every answer. You simply need to remember where your hope is anchored. For
while you are waiting... God is working. While you are trusting... God is
faithful. And while you are resting in Him... You are being quietly
strengthened for whatever lies ahead.
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for being my rock, my salvation, and my stronghold. When waiting becomes difficult and I grow restless, remind me that my hope comes from You alone.
Teach me to rest quietly in Your presence. Replace my anxiety with trust, my impatience with peace, and my uncertainty with confidence in Your faithfulness. Help me to remember that even while I wait, You are working for my good and Your glory.
I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
—
Psalm 62:5-6
Thank You for being my rock, my salvation, and my stronghold. When waiting becomes difficult and I grow restless, remind me that my hope comes from You alone.
Teach me to rest quietly in Your presence. Replace my anxiety with trust, my impatience with peace, and my uncertainty with confidence in Your faithfulness. Help me to remember that even while I wait, You are working for my good and Your glory.
I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment